Pay for PmWiki development
PmWiki is open source and available free of charge, however the "free" time for its development, maintenance and support is limited.
If you or your organization benefit from PmWiki and its development, you can support future development, growth, and maintenance by making a payment. You will receive invoices and may be able to deduct them as expenses.
Petko Yotov has been the PmWiki core developer, release manager and webmaster since 2009, and has been publishing addons, updating documentation and providing support for more than a decade. Financial contributions allow Petko to dedicate more time and effort to the project, reduce other "real" (paid) work and still take care of family, rent, and food. Payments also reduce the tensions among family, work, and PmWiki and reduce burnout on the project.
Do not feel obligated to make payments: you can always get PmWiki and support for free. This page exists to allow people or companies who want to contribute to do it legally and easily.
Payments can be made via SEPA/IBAN bank transfer, via Credit Card or via PayPal, and you will receive an invoice.
- SEPA/IBAN bank transfer: the best and least expensive payment from a bank account in EUR is via a SEPA/IBAN bank transfer. Please contact email@example.com for details. European companies and individuals from the EuroZone may prefer this method. Non-EU companies can also use this method, contact your bank for confirmation.
- Payment cards: Credit or Debit cards, or PayPal accounts can be used to make payments, fill in the form.
While development, documentation, maintenance, communications, testing, and a host of other costs vary considerably according to the activity and complexity, below are some rough details on what your payments can allow Petko to perform:
- 200 EUR = a day's work, eg. Core development (planning, researching, coding, testing, committing, documenting).
- 1000 EUR = a week's work, or about a day per week for a month.
- 200 EUR = pmwiki.org website maintenance for 1 month (reviewing edits/uploads, reverting spam & vandalism, fixing broken pages, cleanup, configuration).
- 100 EUR = tech intelligence gathering for 1 month (threats, strategies).
- 100 EUR = fix and document 1 medium bug, or 2 simple bugs, or review & update 4 addons for PHP compatibility.
- 300 EUR = create a simple mobile-friendly skin, or an average complexity addon.
- Communication (English is Petko's third language so writing takes some effort).
- 25 EUR = reply to support or development questions (4-5 simple/short replies, or 1 long reply, or 1 reply requiring research/testing/sample code).
- 100 EUR = update the PmWeekly reference log for a month.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I donate to Pm (Patrick Michaud) who wrote and developed PmWiki 2001-2009?
Sure, please visit Send Pm money.
How do I make a payment?
Select the amount you wish to pay and the periodicity and click on a payment button above and you'll be taken to a page where you can enter your information.
How much work is being done?
|Contributed by Petko||a2007||a2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||c2017|
|PmWiki versions released||8||12||15||9||13||13||12||10||12|
|Mailing list messages||298||135||292||185||239||176||193||181||127||106||98|
|Website edits: totals||b139||b93||b1180||b657||b973||b460||b441||b479||b549||b670||c1054|
|- Issue Tracker (PITS?)||21||16||455||239||148||96||71||87||71||79||172|
|- English Documentation (PmWiki, News?)||151||93||141||59||89||65||88||105||410|
|- International Documentation||9||198||43||167||15||18||13||15||15||26|
|- Website organization (Site, SiteAdmin, Category?)||1||19||43||24||38||21||6||21||22||60||50|
|- Recipes (Cookbook?, Skins?)||21||45||248||181||345||201||219||266||326||310||318|
a: Before Petko took over the core development in January 2009.
b: Incomplete data, the actual number of edits is equal or higher (the setting
cause old edit history to be dropped).
$DiffKeepDays = 180;
c: Full year data extrapolated from January-June 2017 performance.
Petko is a maintainer of 90+ addons or recipes.
What payment amount should I make?
The amount is up to you. If PmWiki has made your life on the web better or easier, judge what that is worth to you.
May I deduct the payment as a tax item?
Petko Yotov is based in France/EU. Companies from Bulgaria, France, Germany, UK, and USA have been able to deduct these payments. Please confer with your tax advisor on this subject. If you use PmWiki for business purposes, such a payment may be an eligible business expense. Petko Yotov is not a non-profit entity permitted to provide tax exemptions as a charitable or non-profit entity. Consult your local tax laws and tax advisor for the best answer.
Can I contribute if I live outside of the U.S. or E.U.?
Yes. PayPal accepts payments from many different countries and automatically handles currency conversions: Reference. (You do not need a PayPal account to make a card payment.)
What if I don't want to use a bank transfer or PayPal to send money?
Contact Petko Yotov and we will discuss other possibilities such as paper checks, gift cards, and similar.
What if I want to help with something other than money?
Contact Petko Yotov and we will discuss other possibilities.
I need a specific feature or capability in PmWiki and I am willing to pay for its priority implementation. Who should I contact?
Contact Petko Yotov.