INN - references
INN (V2.6 here) have a lot of documentation and at a moment or an other you will have to read it? May be several times...
INN is the GNU nntp server (InterNetNews). It's a standalone application, that is it do not need an http server like Apache or Nginx.
Also for french reading people: doc en françaisqq
When searching for documentation, the "eyrie.org" (Russ Allbery) is without a doubt the better documentation site about INN. So searching Google with:
Is a very effective way to find what you need.
A large part of this doc is about the content of the configuration files, that is (in part):
- reader.conf, who can read your server articles
- inn.conf, general INN configuration
- storage.conf, how articles are stored
- /etc/rsyslog.conf, how to log INN
- innfeed.conf, how articles are shared between peers
- incoming.conf, what peers do share articles with you
Some words are used in INN documentation with special meaning.
- group: sometime also named as "forum", but this gives confusion with phpbb type forums, if you can, say "News groups".
- article: the post sent by an user and published in a group
- distribution: one of the article headers. As of august 2022, I'm not sure of the meaning :-( - for sure it's not a Linux distribution
- NoCem: special article aimed at removing spam
- Control article: article that gives orders to a server instead of publishing a content
- "Control" Person responsible of order creation or removal of groups.
"The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP 14 RFC2119 RFC8174 when, and only when, they appear in all capitals, as shown here."